<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Thanks for the support Michael, Nick and as always Cyndi. Oddly enough I was more disappointed about Slamdance than Sundance. Sundance, in my understanding, is a lottery. You can't win if you don't play so I play but I never really had any hope for Sundance. It just cost me $30 to never have to think, "I wonder if The Promethean could have gotten into Sundance." Slamdance was the bigger disappointment because it is still one of the top ten film festivals in the world (according to Chris Gore) and yet small enough to pay attention to films like mine. Last year two BYU films were accepted, Peluca and The Snell Show, since then both filmmakers of those films have gone on to make features and found distribution. Slamdance was very impressed with the BYU film program and said they would keep an eye out for BYU films this year. All this culminates to me thinking I had a pretty good chance to get in. I think the thing that disappointed me the most is that this year another BYU film was selected but, unlike last year where they selected the two best films BYU students made, they chose one that in my opinion, and many others, is one of the weakest. Last year I attended the showings of Peluca and Snell Show and the films shown with them were also very weak. Everything is so subjective, that is what has bothered me so much. They not only passed over my film but many other well made, strong BYU films and chose the one we all hated. Oh well, I am over it now and I have my film out to four other film festivals (two of which are bigger than Slamdance) and I'll keep working The Promethean until I feel that it has run its course.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?